Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Feeling better ...maybe

The good news is I took some time yesterday and just chilled and laughed and am feeling better. Sometimes getting out of your own head is very helpful. The downside...you start to look around you.

Okay...so I didn't want this blog to turn into a regular bitch fest but am currently in the mood to vent and need to before I explode. Local politics or world injustice? Nope. The stupidly simple issue of living around adults who are oblivious or simply don't care? Absolutely. With my oldest daughter home from college and my son in the process of moving out but not quite, I have six people under my roof at most times. Me, my husband, our three children, and our roommate. One of these individuals is a child. Only one. So seriously there should be no reason for me to feel responsible for taking care of anyone aside from myself, the child, and the typical life partner type stuff, right? Oh, but you would say this under the completely justifiable assumption that the other adults in my house take responsibility for themselves. Unfortunately, you would be wrong.

As adults, we all know that having a home is a responsibility. There are things that need to be done to keep your home livable. Simple chores that are required unless you are willing to live in hoarder type filth and clutter, which for the record, I am NOT. I feel I have become fairly laid back where my house is concerned. Since integrating into such a large family I have had to learn, whether I like it or not, that some clutter is simply a fact of life and my home is not going to stay pristine at all times. I can live with that. It may cause the occasional twitch but I have really learned to deal.

However, there is absolutely no freaking reason for sheer filth and nastiness, no matter how many occupants you have. Sorry, that is something I don't have to accept. In order to keep this kind of nastiness out of my house though, because apparently all adults don't have this basic understanding and don't get overwhelmed with the heebs when confronted with funk, I have to play drill sergeant and director and motivator and bitch on wheels to keep my house from turning into something nasty and unlivable. I jest you say? Again, unfortunately NOT. If I see it, they see it too. There is no way in hell I am the only person here who notices when some shit needs to be cleaned up. None of them are blind.

The point to all of this rant is that I am feeling more than a little frustrated at the fact that I have to tell adults what to do to keep their environment at least decent. WHY???? Yes, I was raised by a nurse who took OCD to a whole new level and was rabid about keeping the house clean and sanitized. Yes, like most teenagers I went through a slob phase (though mine was clutter, never pure filth). Yes, I used to be Atilla the Hun in drag about the house and drove everyone crazy until I had to learn to ease up to keep some kind of peace and serenity in my space and not go to prison. But seriously people, I swear I have calmed immensely on this front. I tolerate more than I ever thought possible and only go on rabid cleaning binges a couple of times a year and only make everyone hate me for a couple of days each time.

This is a huge improvement. Even Storm, my husband, would have to admit that I have learned a great deal of tolerance compared to the way I was at the beginning of our relationship. My point is, I am not just being an OCD bitch about my house. These people are making me insane. When I have to tell someone, who is older than I, that they need to take out the garbage in their room and clean up some stuff, shit is just ridiculous. So I am now taking a deep breath and am done with this particular rant. I promise to try to bring something more positive to the table soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment