Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ever trooping forward

So things are working themselves out with the Pride event we are planning. Granted, none of this moves on its own and as antisocial as I usually am, I become a fairly decent smooth talker when it comes to getting these events taken care of. I am really proud of the progress we are making and feel like we are definitely getting more help on this one than we did our drag pageant.

I am really looking forward to the family oriented stuff and letting our daughter take part in this one. Much of what we have done up until now, the little one has kept away from because we are paranoid parents or it hasn't been age appropriate. We won't let our youngest participate in the protests, even though we only do peaceful and silent protests, because we just don't want to take a chance on something happening with her there. Nothing major has happened at any of our protests so far but I still don't think she is old enough. She adores drag queens and hasn't been able to see a live performance because...of course...drag shows generally take place in a bar. She will get to see some Queens and Kings on festival day and during the drag brunch so she is super excited.

Our festival day is going to have all kinds of kids activities. I am still working on some more so that people feel it is worth it to come out with their kids even if they might not think they will have fun on their own. I am working with a friend and board member to try to plan some light, inexpensive crafting stuff for the kids that day and interspersing it with games and free play (we actually have a child's room in the amazing space we were given). I am hoping we can get it better planned and someone more kid friendly than I can give me some workable ideas.

We are also having an Education Day with discussion forums and Storm and I made the decision to let our youngest be part of the bullying panel. She unfortunately has some fairly extensive experience with this issue and she is ridiculously intelligent (believe it or not, that is not just parental pride...she really is) and has a shocking understanding of what goes on with her emotionally behind the bullying. I think people need to hear this from a child. One, they need to understand how their kids are feeling when it happens and Two, people need to see why it is imperative to get a grip on their child if they are the ones doing the bullying. Parents can make a huge difference if they pay attention and get involved.

On a lighter note, I managed to get a small computer yesterday so that Storm and I no longer have to share and we can both get work done. Yayyy us!! As much as I begrudge spending the money (I am a tightfisted miser and ok with it), we really needed to be able to work at the same time. The whole trading off on his laptop was keeping us both from accomplishing everything we needed to. I hope this little dude holds up to the pressure and am enjoying it so far. It is a little bit of an adjustment dealing with something that seems so small but the keyboard is standard so the typing isn't bad and bumping up the size of the font a little (hey, I am getting old, ok) has made it much more comfortable for me to deal with. So there.

Speaking of work, I really need to get back to it. Emails to check, people to contact, contracts to write, jewelry to make, house to clean, meeting to attend, shopping to do, bank trip to make, and...uh...probably forgot something. That is just today's schedule. Seriously. Bye now.

No comments:

Post a Comment